Tuesday, 12 April 2016

2016 Gypsy Queen Box One



Base Cards 183 of 300 - No doubles, 61% of the base set. I wasn't sure about the design at first, but now that I have them in hand, I really like this years design. Simple and the red text really pops against the light background, a huge improvement over 2015. I won't flood you with base, but a few stood out.

The biggest improvement over 2015 in my books, in game photos. I don't think there was one posed shot in my box, something that was way to prevalent in 2015.

 The last Expo and a Tulo that I had to check and make sure it wasn't a photo variation. I am getting used to him as a Blue Jay, but maybe Trevor Story has something to do with that.

I don't know what Mark Canha is running from, but it seems terrifying. Ender Inciarte with a sweet jersey, and there is something about the Arrieta card I love.

Short Prints - The box promised 6, and I got 6, I was thrilled to get the Kenta Maeda as that will probably be the most expensive one. I hope to get the short prints completed by 2018 as I have just got the last of the 2014's.

Base Photo Variation: These fall 1:58 so I was lucky to get one, Goldschmidt in one other the 7000 different jerseys the D-backs have.

Mini Short Print - Kenta Maeda again, my only short print base mini, these fall one per box so one is it.

 Base Minis - 17 base mini's, like the base cards, I like the design on the minis, the photo can sometimes get crowded, but that is to be expected.

Autographs 2 - Gypsy Queen always does autos well, always on-card and no redemptions this year. Rob Refsnyder was my first pull, leading to disappointment and wondering who the hell is Rob Refsnyder, then redemption (not the bad kind) with a Vinny Castilla. I know only a Rockies fan would be happy with this, but it's a want-list card checked off already, and a rare baseball bad weather photo.

Relics 2 - As well as GQ does autos, I feel they do as poorly in relics. I don't mind the full size cards, but I hate framed relics, what is the point?

Weird Buyback 1 - Speaking of what is the point, what is this thing. At 1:166 packs these are kind of rare, but I have no idea what it is. It's way to Gintery for me.

Purple Border - One per box, a nice change from the usual, what Rockies fan doesn't want purple parallels.

Purple Mini - More purple, these 3 were the only mini color in the box, I feel like they cut back on the mini parallels a little, probably to add the MVP minis. I also wish the purple was darker, these look way to similar to the base.

MVP Mini - 3 of these as well, ok looking cards, but I would rather have more mini parallels than these to be honest.

Insterts: (Walk-Off Winners x4,Power Alley x6, Glove Stores x4) Glove Stories and Walk-Off Winners are back, both of which I like and Power Alley is new, nice design, but I really wish Collisions at the Plate would come back.

I know it's like asking Willy Wonka if he likes candy, but I like Gypsy Queen, and I like this years offering. I like it so much that I know like 2015 Queen even less. I really miss the black minis, but they were so low numbered last year they might as well have not existed. I did well with the photo variation, the weird buyback and a numbered relic, but this is mostly about set building for me and the short prints mean I will be building this for a while. I really like this years set and think it stack up near the top of Gypsy Queen releases for me, box two and totals still to come.

11 comments:

  1. I'd love a shot at the Rougned Odor if it's available...here's my tradebait link: http://cardboardhabit.blogspot.com/2014/10/hits-for-trade-by-team_20.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we can work something out.

      Delete
  2. Are you collecting all the inserts as well? At least you know you'll be able to sell that Refsnyder to a Yankees fan to buy more Rockies autos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you collecting all the inserts as well? At least you know you'll be able to sell that Refsnyder to a Yankees fan to buy more Rockies autos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much all inserts for trade, will have a full list maybe tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Trade for the Goldschmidt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those framed buy backs are odd and dumb. There is nothing great about them. I see them listed on ebay for $50 or so, and yet you can find the standard tobacco card for a couple bucks if you look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. save the mini Aaron and Chippah for me! I get my box tomorrow... Happy Birthday to me! Happy....... uh, you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete