Wednesday 29 February 2012

2010 Topps: Ryan Spilborghs aka The Spilly Slam + Bonus Custom


Inspired by the Dimebox post yesterday, here is one of my favorite Rockies base cards ever. Ryan Spilborghs rounding the bases after hitting a walk off grand slam against the Giants during the Rockies 2009 playoff run. A really amazing game I remember watching, tied 1-1 until the top of the 14th when Adam Eaton gave up 3 runs, then in the bottom of the 14th Justin Miller walks Eaton with the bases loaded, followed by Spilborghs hitting a walk off grand slam off of Merkin Valdez. Spilborghs is now with Cleveland but will always be remembered by Rockies fans for his sense of humor (look up Spill the Beans on youtube, it's great), his ever changing facial hair and the Spilly Slam. I really like when you can recognize what game the photo on a card is from and wish Topps would make use of this more often on base cards.




 I also finally got around to making a template for 1998 Score baseball, I really like the mid to late 90's Score sets for some reason. Adam Eaton pitched in 8 innings over 4 games for the 2009 Rockies and didn't contribute much other than the Spilly Slam game. I am still toying with the idea of doing a custom for every Rockie not to receive a card, and if I do at least Eaton is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment