Thursday 12 September 2013

2014 Gypsy Queen First Look

Something most people have probably seen already, but seeing as Gypsy Queen is my favorite Topps product I just want to take a moment to look at the newly revealed 2014 version.

The first thing that struck me was how similar this feels to 2011, the color looks similar and the player and team name are outside the border in a small strip. While the border design got more complicated and intricate from 2011-2013, 2014 breaks that trend with a nice simple border, while keeping with the knotwork-like accents. I really like how, to me anyway, it looks like the emphasis has has been moved back to the player photo, where in 2013 this first thing I noticed was the border. To me, going back to rounded corners really helps rather than the sharp corners at the top of the 2013 design.

A big selling point for Gypsy Queen is the on card autographs, and these will now have colored parallels, which I would guess will still stick with the framed borders that have been a part of the product since 2011. Another new feature is 1/1 acetate mini cards, while I love acetate cards, I am a little disappointed they are limited to one each, which will probably put them out of my price range.

So far every release of Gypsy Queen has had things I liked and things I didn't like, and based on a first impression, I would personally rank the 2014 design above the 2013 and 2012 releases, but still a step behind my personal favorite, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment