Tuesday 4 November 2014

First card show in about a decade with 2 pickups

There are a lot of things I have done since getting back into collecting, but one thing that was missing was going to a card show. This past weekend it just happened that I was in the city for a wedding the same day an actual sports card show was going on. It was pretty much what I expected, around 20 tables with about 95% hockey. Very little wax, almost nothing for dime and dollar boxes, pretty much everything was overpriced modern relics and auto's with a bit of vintage mixed in. With almost no baseball or CFL, my main goal was to find a 1971-72 O-Pee-Chee Bobby Orr in decent shape. I already had about 10 Bruins from that year, and the Orr was going to be the most expensive card to finish the team set. After about ten tables I found one that looked good for only $25.00. After asking to look at it, it had serious paper loss on the back, all four corners, like it had been taped into a book, even at a discount from the original $25, I was not interested. A few more tables in, another 1971 Orr in good shape, again for $25.00, again leading to disappointment as flipping it over revealed it to be Topps instead the OPC I desired. Stopping a the last table there was a Bobby Orr, right on the price tag "1971-72 OPC" with "$100.00" underneath it. Then to the right of that "Sale, $25.00"

It's a little off center, has some imperfections on the surface and the corners are a little soft, in no way a $100.00 card, but for $25.00 cash I am pretty happy with it. As with most vintage, the scan really brings out the flaws, but it looks good in hand, and after looking on secondary markets, I think I did pretty good for $25. Walking up to the dealer a stack of Young Guns caught my eye and after coming up empty looking for a Torey Krug, I did grab a Carl Soderberg, marked at $10, on sale for $2.25, and it ending up being a throw in with the Orr for a total of $25.00.


I stayed for less than an hour and only left with two cards, but it was a fun way to relive my youth a little. I am not sure I would make the almost 2 hour drive to Saskatoon just for one of these shows, but it's nice to know that people are still putting these on in case I want to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment