Tuesday 20 March 2012

Gary Carter and the Start of a New Project

This recently acquired Gary Carter bat card marks the first step in a new collecting goal, getting bat cards of the top home run hitting catchers of all time. Carter sits at 7th on the home runs by a catcher list with 298, he did have 324 career, but I am going by home runs hit while playing catcher, so my list doesn't include time spend at DH, pinch hitting or playing anywhere else. Of the 13 players with over 200 home runs as a catcher only Gabby Hartnett doesn't have a bat card and the other 12 are fairly easy to find, so this isn't a huge goal, but the tricky part is going to find the photo on the card showing them catching which is what I prefer. This Carter card fits all my criteria and is on what looks like a buyback 1987, and I love the '87 design and the Carter card is one of the nicer cards in the set. From what I can find in Beckett this should be a 2005 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites Originals Relics #GC Gary Carter Bat Card numbered to 50, from what I can tell this is a "buyback" set in that Topps used old cards, die cut one and sandwiched them to create a mem card. Back of card after the jump.


2 comments:

  1. Well, you'll never have to worry about chasing a Mauer bat card. lol

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea for a collection. And that is a nice Carter card. I collect Carter and I also love the 1987 set.

    ReplyDelete